My last three scarves (on this blog) are all constructed similarly with easy pattern repeats. This is the same but with only a 1 row repeat worked over and over. Super simple, easy enough for the most beginner, AND good looking enough that even the more advanced knitter will enjoy whipping one up.
Here it is:
Materials:I skein of worsted weight yarn, approx. 200 yds.
Size U.S. 10 1/2 (6.5mm) circular knitting needle. You will use a circular needle not to knit in the round, but to work flat and accomodate the large number of stitches. I used a 29" length.
2 stitch markers
P = Purl
CO = Cast on
YO = Yarn over
PM = Place Marker
RM = Remove Marker
K2tog = Knit 2 sts together
References:Cast on at the beginning of the row, otherwise known as knitted cast-on. Tutorial video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdaZTBOJ7XU
Gauge:14 sts in Garter st = 4"
Directions:1. Using long-tail cast on, cast on 4 sts.
3. CO 4 sts at the beg of the row, knit to end.
4. Repeat step 3 until there are 36 sts.
5. CO 4 sts at the beg of the row, K16, PM, K1, *YO, K2tog, repeat from * twice more, K17.
6. CO 4 sts at the beg of the row, K16, PM, K1, *YO, K2tog, repeat from * to 1 st before marker, K1, RM, K16.
7. Repeat step 6 until you have 192 sts.
8. CO 4 sts at the beg of the row, K across removing marker as you come to it. 196 sts.
9. Repeat step 8. 200 sts.
10. Do not cast on at the beg of the row(s), Knit 2 rows.
11. Bind off loosely.
Here is the patternClick on the link below - You should be able to download or print from there by clicking on "File". If this does not work for you you may try switching from Firefox to Internet Explorer or vice versa. Worst case senario you can copy and paste the directions into a word doc and print it out. Enjoy!
Back to Pattern Index