I had never made any and decided to see if my daughter wanted a pair. She did, so I whipped these out. I have no adversity whatsoever to double point needles, but I know some folks do. I wanted to write the easiest pattern I could just to tempt people to try it, so these are made on 2 regular needles.
For downloading or printing of this pattern, simply scroll down past the photos, the pattern is there. *Special thanks to my Ravelry tester Karinamaza for letting me use her picture of the gray/blue toppers. ☺
Here are my 2-needle boot toppers.....
Sizes: Sm(Med, Lg/XL)Sm = up to 13” calf width, Med = up to 14” calf width, Lg/Xl = up to 15” calf width.
Worsted weight or Aran yarn
A few yards of waste yarn
1 set of U.S. size 8 (5mm) needles
1 extra needle either size 7 or 8 (for 3-needle bind off at the end.)
Gauge:18 sts & 36 rows = 4” in Garter st.
Abbreviations:k = knit p = purl
rep = repeat CO = cast on
sts = stitches
3-needle bind off:
To begin, first choose what length you would like your toppers to be. Since you are working sideways the length will be determined by the amount of stitches you cast on. 28 sts will be 6.2” long. 33 sts will be 7.3 “ long. 38 sts will be 8.4” long. *The toppers shown are 28 sts.
Using Waste yarn CO your chosen amount of sts.
Still using waste yarn, knit one row, then purl one row. OR You may use a provisional cast on method if you prefer something else.
Now join main color yarn.
1. (RS) Using Main Color: Knit
2. (WS) K4, *k1, p4, rep from* to last 4 sts, k4.
3. (RS) K4, *k3, p2, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.
4. (WS) K4, *k3, p2, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.
5. (RS) K4, *K1, p4, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.
6. (WS) Knit
7. Rep rows 1-6 ten(eleven, twelve) times more – on the last rep of rows,
stop at row 5.
stop at row 5.
8. Now grab your other needle and pick up the original stitches being held by the waste yarn. Remove waste yarn.
9. Fold your knitting RIGHT sides together, Use 3-needle bind off method to bind off knitwise.
To download, or print this pattern click on this link: