Friday, February 14, 2014

Occasional Cable Cowl - FREE Knitting Pattern!

As many of you know, I really really like this simple lace pattern.  It is a 2-row repeat, I have used it on a couple of my scarf/cowl patterns.  This time I wanted to see what it would be like if I threw in an occasional cable.
This cowl, although more decorative, does add some warmth around the neck.  I was traveling when I knit this and all I had to use was Red Heart yarn - needless to say not my favorite yarn or preferred in any way.  But, it did turn out and looks quite nice and I already have someone begging to have it.
Mine was 22" in circumference prior to blocking but after blocking grew significantly to 26" in circumference.  I was happy about this as I like it a bit wider so it will drape and look nice.
Here is the pattern if you want to give it a try!


*If you'd like to download or print the pattern just scroll down past the pictures and you will see a link where you can do that.

Materials:

Aran weight yarn 175 yds
Size 10 (6mm) circular needle (24” length)
1 Cable needle
5 stitch markers (I used 4 that were the same color to mark where cables are, and the other marker was a different color to mark the beg of the round).

Gauge:

14.5 sts & 20 rows = 4" in stockinette st.

Abbreviations:

K = knit                                P = purl
beg = beginning                   M = marker
yon = yarn over needle        yo = yarn over
p2tog = purl 2 together        Rep = repeat
k2tog = knit 2 together        CO = cast on
SM = slip marker                 PM = Place marker
CF2= Cable forward 2
**IMPORTANT: please make sure you know the difference between yo & yon.  If not, google it or watch some youtube videos, it's important that you do the correct one.

DIRECTIONS:

Using Long Tail cast on method, CO 80 sts

1.     Place marker to mark beg of round, Knit one round. (this first round may be a little tight, it will get better after a few rounds).
2.  P16, *PM, k4, p16, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

Slip markers as you come to them.  Please note: make sure on the purl rounds that the yo falls before the marker, not after.

3.     *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from * to M, k4,**.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

4.     *P2, p2tog, yon, rep from * to 4 sts before marker, p2, p2tog, yo, (yes, I said yo instead of yon, this is correct) SM, k4, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.


5.     *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from * to M, k4,**.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

6.     *P2, p2tog, yon, rep from * to 4 sts before marker, p2, p2tog, yo, SM, k4, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

7.     *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from * to M, k4, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

8.     *P2, p2tog, yon, *p2, p2tog, yon, rep from * to 4 sts before marker, p2, p2tog, yo, SM, k4, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

9.     *yo, k2tog, k2, rep from * to M, CF2, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

10. *P2, p2tog, yon, rep from * to 4 sts before marker, p2, p2tog, yo, SM, k4, **.  Rep from * to ** to end of round.

11. Work rounds 3-10 until piece measures approx. 10” or 7 cables have been completed.  End with round 10.

12. Work rounds 3-7.

13. Same as round 2, remove cable markers as you come to them as they are no longer needed.

14. Knit one round.

Bind off.  I blocked mine and it grew a bit.  Unblocked measured 22” in circumference and 11” in height.   Blocked mine measured 25" in circumference.







To Download or Print this pattern, click on the link below:

6 comments:

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

It's a beautiful cowl and lace pattern so no wonder you really love it!

jlizs said...

I can't wait to try this pattern, but I'm finding some conflicting information when I do a search for "yarn over needle." Most sites I've come across are defining it as a type of yarn over as well as giving differing instructions (or none at all) about how it's done. Can you recommend a specific link that shows or describes it the way YOU do it? Also, I see that the pattern also calls for YO between purl stitches, so how are you doing the YO's there? I don't know if I'm overthinking this or if I'm just confused because it's the middle of the night. :)

kriskrafter said...

jilzs:
There is only one way to yo (yarn over). Here is a great video to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4rbwC3dqI

To yo when you are at the point in the purl row, since your yarn is already at the front of your work you'd simply just flip it up over your needle to make the next knit stitch.
To make a yon (yarn over needle) when purling. Your yarn is already at the front of your work, now take it up and over the needle, around it and back to the front of the work, in essence you've kind of "wrapped" a stitch onto the needle, you can then proceed to purl your next stitch as your work is back at the front after having wrapped the new stitch on.
I tried to find a video on this and actually couldn't find one! Unfortunately different countries call these different things. But just trying to be clear on what I did. Hope that helps.
Kris

jlizs said...

Thanks, Kriskrafter, that clears it up. Looks like I was just over thinking it a little.

Anonymous said...

I am about to make this cowl and I notice you do not say to join the cast on to make a circle or to sew edges at the finish of the pattern. Since it is a cowl, which is the best place to join to make it a circlethanks,
Linda

kriskrafter said...

Annonymous - yes this is worked in rounds (in the round). You cast on then join and start working in the round.