Sunday, November 27, 2016

Better Dorm Boots for MEN! - Free Knitting pattern


Better Dorm Boots ©2016 Kris Basta

A very special thank you to fellow knitter Anne Goodwin for helping test this pattern.  Due to tennis elbow I haven't been able to knit for a while.  I had the pattern mostly written out but it's hard to make sure all is right without test knitting each size.  Anne did just that, corrected numbers for me and tested the fit on most as well.  





*to view or download the pdf file, scroll down to the end of the pattern and click on link.

Materials:


U.S. Size 9 (5.5mm) needles
Worsted weight yarn (use 2 strands of worsted held tog.)
     Sole: 114(120, 130,140) yds 
     Slipper body: 124(136, 142, 158) yds
2 Stitch markers



Mens Sizes: 


Sm (8-9), M (9.5-10.5), Lg (11-12), XL (13)
For womens sizes see here
http://auntekristy.blogspot.com/2016/09/better-dorm-boots-free-knitting-pattern.html


Gauge: 14 sts = 4” in Stockinette (w strands held double)




Abbreviations:


k = knit
p = purl
yo = yarn over 

sl-1 = slip one
PSSO = pass slipped stitch over
p2tog = purl 2 together
k2tog = knit 2 together
ssk = slip, slip, knit (see how to perform one of these descreases if you don't know, google it) 

WS = wrong side
RS = right side
PM = place marker

Rep = repeat



DIRECTIONS: * you will use 2 strands held together throughout the whole slipper.



Starting with Sole:

Using sole color, Cast on 52(55, 57, 59) sts using a long-tail method and with 2 strands held together.
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: K1, yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k2(3,3,3), yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k1.  [56(59,61,63) sts]
Row 3 and all odd rows: Knit. *knit the yo’s through the back of the loop.

Row 4: K2, yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k4(5,5,5), yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k2. [60(63,65,67)sts]


Row 6: K3, yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k6(7,7,7), yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k3. [64(67,69,71)sts]


Row 8: K4, yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k8(9,9,9), yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k4. [68(71,73,75) sts]
 


Row 10: K5, yo, K24(25,26,27), yo, k10(11,11,11), yo, k24(25,26,27), yo, k5. [72(75,77,79)sts]
 

Row 12: Size Sm ONLY: K6, yo, k(24), yo, k6, yo, k6, yo, (k24), yo, k6. [77 sts]

Row 12: Size M ONLY: K6, yo, k32, yo, k31, yo, k6.  [78 sts]
Row 12: Size L ONLY: K6, yo, k to last 6 sts, yo, k6.  [79 sts]
Row 12: Size XL ONLY: K39, yo, k40.  [80 sts]
Row 13: Knit (knit any yo's through the back of the loop) 

FOOT

Change color now if making foot different color than sole.

Row 1: Knit

Row 2: (WS) P34(34,34,34,), PM, p9(10,11,12), PM, p34(34,34,34,).
Row 3: K27(27,27,27), ssk 2x, k3tog, k9(10,11,12), sl-1, k2tog, psso, k2tog 2x, k27(27,27,27). [69(70,71,72) sts)
Row 4: Purl

Row 5: K23(23,23,23), ssk 2x, k3tog, k9(10,11,12), sl-1, k2tog, psso, k2tog 2x, k23(23,23,23). [61(62,63,64)sts]
Row 6: Purl

Row 7: K35(36,37,38), ssk,turn. [60(61,62,63) sts] 
Row 8: Sl-1, p9(10,11,12), p2tog,turn. [59(60,61,62) sts] 
Row 9: Sl-1, k9(10,11,12), ssk, turn.[58(59,60,61) sts] 
Row 10: Sl-1, p9(10,11,12), p2tog, turn. [57(58,59,60) sts] 

Rows 11-26: Repeat rows 9 and 10. [41(42,43,44) sts] 

Row 27: (RS) Sl-1, k9(10,11,12), ssk, DON’T TURN, k14(14,14,14).  [40(41,42,43) sts] 

Row 28: P24(25,26,27), p2tog, p14(14,14,14). [39(40,41,42) sts] 
Row 29: Size S/M ONLY: (Removing markers as you come to them) Knit.  Now proceed to row 32.
Row 29: Size L/XL ONLY: (Removing markers as you come to them) Knit. 
Row 30: Size L/XL ONLY: Purl
Row 31: Size L/XL ONLY: Knit
Row 32: P1, p2tog, p2tog, p across to last 5 sts, p2tog, p2tog, p1. 
[35(36,37,38) sts]

Row 33: Knit

Row 34: Purl 

Rows 35-36: Rep rows 33 and 34 once more.

----------------------------------------------------------

RIBBED CUFF


Row 37: Sizes S/L ONLY: [k1,p1] 8(-,8,-)x more, k2tog, p1, [k1,p1] to end.  [34(-,36,-) sts]

Row 37: Size M/XL ONLY: [k1, p1] to end.
Rows 38-45: Work 8 rows of 1x1 rib.

Bind off loosely.

Sew seam using single strand of matching color(s). I turn the slipper inside out and seam using a simple whipstitch. Take care to make your stitches small and close together for best results.


Weave in any loose ends.


Wear and enjoy!
P.S. I spray the bottoms with the spray version on Plasti-dip to make my soles non-skid. 
 

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi kris...thank you for sharing this wonderful pattern...they look so comfortable...i am anxious to begin and keep my toes warm...thank you, again..take care...sally

Anonymous said...

Thanks for generously sharing your creativity, hope to make some to donate :)

LaceLady said...

Thanks heaps for your creative and technical skills - and especially for your generosity in making this free! I knit lots of winter items for Hope House and Lighthouse Gospel Mission, and these will be just the ticket!

LaceLady said...

Thanks so much for this wonderful pattern! It is perfect, and just in time for winter knitting! Our Hope House and Lighthouse Gospel Mission just put out requests for men's slippers and slipper-socks! Bless you!

Mary said...

The men's pattern was posted just as I was going to try to figure it out on my own. Thank you!
Mary

Anonymous said...

hello - I am attempting this pattern and have hit a snag. I am wondering if you may be able to help me. Starting on Rows 7 through to 9 of the foot portion of the pattern there is a phrase that I am not familiar with. It seems to say L SEP. could you explain what this means please. Secondly in Row 7 am I right to understand that I knit 35 stitches, do an ssk and then turn to start row 8? Looking forward to your response. Many thanks!

kriskrafter said...

Annonymous,
Hello, I am looking right at the pattern I posted for this and do not see anything that says "L SEP". I am not sure what you are seeing or where. There is nothing like that.

On Row 7, yes you would knit the number for your size, in your case 35, then ssk, then turn - thus leaving the rest of the stitches unworked and your next row will be on the purl side. This is called "short rowing".

Anonymous said...

Thank you - I have looked into this and it seems to be an issue with the browser.it only appears on line 7 - 8 before the word 'turn' and on line 9 after the word 'turn'. Perhaps others will have this issue. I appreciate your response, having fun with the pattern so far, it really comes together quickly. Thank you once again.

Anonymous said...

ok so I just tested my hypotheses - the letters L SEP appear on these three lines using Chrome. Using Internet Explorer, these letters do not appear. Just an FYI :)

Lori (Bowmanville) said...

Hi. Thank-you for this pattern. I have just made my first pair for my husband who is in a wheel-chair. They are AWESOME. Fit incredibly well and he loves the feel of them on his extremely sensitive feet.

Sheena in England said...

Super pattern, very clearly written and easy to follow - thank you!
I'm just finishing up my first pair using a strand of Aran-wt wool/acrylic blend and a strand of my hand-spun local wool together, for Knit for Peace. They'll probably go to a Syrian refugee in a tented camp in Jordan, Iraq or Turkey. I'm going to try thrumming the sole of the next pair; winters are cold in the Middle East, especially under canvas.

Anonymous said...

Two strands. Can I use Red Heart Super Saver Yarn? These are for the homebound and they need easy laundering.

kriskrafter said...

Dear Anonymous,
Of course! you can use any worsted weight yarn of your choosing - just make sure to check your gauge for an accurate result in size.

Anonymous said...

I’m a new knitter. Are tgese slippers knitter with straight regular knitting needles?

kriskrafter said...

Dear Annonymous,
These slippers can be knit on either straight needles or circulars. The slippers are knit flat and seamed. I myself knit everything on circular needles but that is my preference for comfort.

Unknown said...

Do you have a pattern for these slippers for women or have any idea what the number of CO stitches would be for women sizes? Thanks!!!

kriskrafter said...

Dear Nancy Plush,
Yes, see my other patterns on this blog - there are several Dorm boot patterns for women.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Kriskrafter,
I have tried every version of your men's and women's dorm boot patterns. I love them all. I learned to knit through You Tube video tutorials about 2 years ago.
Your patterns are easy to understand. Thank you. I think these patterns are awesome because they're knitted in one piece and then seemed together. I lost count of how many I made. I believe around 40-50 pairs. I started out making them for family and ended up making them for about 28-30 sisters in a retirement convent where I work. Those who were unsure about them wore them once and loved them. I have since had to repair one of my earliest pairs I made as the sister who owned them wore the bottoms out. I was able to do that fairly easy.
Making these dorm boots will become a part of my family tradition which my mom started by knitting baby blankets. After she passed, I became a diehard knitter. Lol! I'm addicted to knitting now. I only regret I was unable to make a pair for my mom. She would have loved them. Everyone who has received a pair has loved them.
Thanks A fan from Omaha Ne.

Elaine said...

Thanks for the Men's version of the dorm boot. I have various patterns for women and love them all. Looking forward to knitting these up.

Verna Warnell said...

I am on my second pair of these slippers, and just wanted to say what a fabulous pattern this is - very easy to understand, and very detailed, including how many stitches you should have for all rows. This is without a doubt, the best-written pattern I have used. Thank you for sharing this free pattern.

Anonymous said...

I found this pattern a couple of months ago and just love it!!! The instructions are very easy to follow and The slippers work up fast. I have made them for everyone in my family and have quite a few made for donations. Thank you so much.

Kim from Ontario.

Teena in Toronto said...

Knitted my first pair! Fun easy pattern! Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Are these sizes in US or UK sizes

kriskrafter said...

Dear Unknown, these ar U.S. sizes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this pattern. I have knit many for family and friends. One thing I do is after the cuff ribbing I do about 10 rows of stockinette stiich for a nice rolled edge. I usually do the rolled edge in the same colour yarn as the sole. It finishes it off very nicely.

Haley said...

Please help, I’m stuck on Row 27! I’m getting confused after the “DON’T TURN” and proceeding to finish the row with 14 knit stitches, but it doesn’t even come close to finishing out the row? In other words, after completing all the stitches in Row 27’s instructions, I have many un-worked stitches left in the row. I don’t know how to finish off this row and also proceed to the next. Thanks in advance!

kriskrafter said...

Hard to say why you have extra stitches - could be you didn't work all the required rows (lost count), or perhaps are doing the ssk incorrectly.

Haley said...

I have the correct number of stitches on the whole row after completing Row 27 (42 stitches for M size). However, after following the instructed stitches for that row, over half the row is left unworked. Is this how it should be?

kriskrafter said...

Dear Haley,
If you are making the size Med as you said above, you would have 41 sts after completing row 27, not 42.
Then on Row 28:
Row 28: P24(25,26,27), p2tog, p14(14,14,14). [39(40,41,42) sts]
You are only making one decrease with that p2tog, thus leaving you with 40 stitches after completing that row.

If you have more sts left I really cannot say how you went from 41 sts after completing row 27 to having many more. ?? I am truly at a loss.

Thousands have made this pattern and there are no problems so I have to think perhaps you are reading something wrong, I just don't know.

Unknown said...

Are the Sl-1 stitches knit wise or purlwise?
In row 5 of the foot when it says sl-1, k2tog, psso , k2tog 2x, is th 2x referring just to the last thing written, the k2tog?

Thanks so much! I can knit a sweater but a slipper gets me crazy!!!

kriskrafter said...

DEAR UNKNOWN:
Everyone has their own preference on SL-1, whether they slip it PW or KW. I myself slip it PW.
Second question - yes it is referring to the K2tog. You'd K2tog twice.

Polly said...

Hi there! I love this pattern, just a quick question, am I using 2 strands of yarn throughout the pattern or just for the sole? Xxx

kriskrafter said...

Polly,
You will use 2 strands throughout, for the whole slipper.
:) Happy Knitting, Kris

Anonymous said...

I am trying this pattern for the first time. Do the yarn yardage requirements take into account 2 strands throughout, and 2 slippers?
Thanks.

kriskrafter said...

Dear Annonymous, Yes, it takes in to account that you are using 2 strands throughout.

Unknown said...

How wide should the sole be? I may have used thinner yarn and I am not sure how wide it should be. Right now the sole looks too thin.
-Kim

kriskrafter said...

Dear Kim,
I am assuming you did a gauge swatch if you used something other than the yarn thickness that was called for. If not, then yes, you may have an issue and it would not be the right size. Best to do a gauge swatch and see if your stitch/row sizes are correct. If not then you may want to use a different yarn. Thin yarn really is not right for this pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful easy free pattern! I have made quite a few of these in men’s & womens.

Unknown said...

Can I make these socks to give to a charity called Christmas At Sea? They give Christmas hats, scarves, etc to mariners at Christmas. Most of their patterns use worsted weight, but I like the extra warmth of bulky yarn for slippers. Please let me know, I'm maprehn on Ravelry.

kriskrafter said...

Dear Unknown, yes, you can! I am sure the recipients will be pleased with the slippers.
Kris

Anonymous said...

I made one slipper and going to make the second. Did this pattern change recently. My first slipper had M1’s and completely different. In order for them to match I would like the previous pattern. The cast on for a man’s ten was 51 stitches. Please Help. Thank you

kriskrafter said...

Dear Anonymous,
Nope, the pattern has never changed. I posted this in 2016 and thus has remained unchanged.
I don't believe I've ever used M1 in my patterns as I don't care for that increase. Perhaps you used a different copycat pattern elsewhere before.
Kris

Unknown said...

I love this pattern... My kids and grands in MN hope for these every year. Last year I made 16 pairs from a women's size 6 to a mens size 14.. (that took some adjustments ! ) thank you for this free pattern!