Monday, January 6, 2014

Free Crochet Pattern - Yorkville Cowl

I grew up in the town of Yorkville (Illinois).  When I was a kid, in the 70's, the population was around 1900.  It was a small farm town.  Many things have changed, the population is now 17,000+.  I loved growing up where I did, just outside of town surrounded by corn fields.  In the summer we'd catch lightning bugs, swim in the creeks, play in woods, and play ghost in the graveyard as the sun was setting.  My family moved to Montana just before I turned 18.  I have now lived in Montana the majority of my life and love it, but oddly I still consider myself a Midwesterner. 
As a kid I was always crafting, always making something.  I had a miniature version of my mom's singer sewing machine - many Barbie cloths were crafted on it.  I had decided one day to learn to crochet.  My mom had a "learn to crochet" booklet from either leisure arts or red heart, I forget.  I studied it and taught myself (with a little help from my Aunt Joan).  I made many afghans, scarves, hats, Christmas ornaments and yes, even doilies.
I find today that I knit more than I crochet, but every once in a while I feel great satisfaction picking up the hook and going back to my first craft.   I taught both my kids (boy and girl) how to crochet at an early age.  They are both grown now but can still crochet.  :)
In the last couple of weeks I have stuck close to home battling a bad cold and winter weather, it's given me plenty of time to crochet. Last week I made the "Bandito Cowl", this week I am making what I'll call the "Yorkville Cowl" as my hometown has been on my mind lately.



Here it is, hope you like it.
P.S. to download or print this pattern, scroll down past the picture and click on the link.  

Materials:

Worsted weight yarn 130 - 150 yds.
U.S. size "I" hook (5.5mm)

Gauge:

Not terribly important but should try to achieve somewhere near 14 sts (in pattern) = 4".

Abbreviations:

sc = single crochet        dc = double crochet
rep = repeat                  fpdc = front post double crochet
ch = chain                    bpdc = back post double crochet
RS = right side
WS = wrong side            
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together

Video reference to see how to do the fpdc & bpdc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJs42RUfuc

 

Directions:

Please note: you will start at the bottom center of the cowl and work your way upwards, increasing as you go.  You will first work back and forth on a flat piece then at #10 you will join and work in the round.

            1.     Ch 4, turn
2.     Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, sc in last ch, ch 5, turn. 
3.     (RS) Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, sc in next ch, dc in next ch, sc in next sc, fpdc in dc from previous row, sc in last sc, ch 5, turn.
4.     (WS) Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, sc in next ch, dc in next ch, sc in next sc, bpdc in fpdc from previous row, sc in next sc, bpdc in dc from previous row, sc in next sc, bpdc in dc from previous row, sc in last sc, ch 5, turn.
5.     Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, sc in next ch, dc in next ch, sc in next sc, *fpdc in fpdc from previous row, sc in next sc, rep from * to last 4 sts,  fpdc in dc from previous row, sc in next sc, fpdc in dc from previous row, sc in last sc, ch 5, turn.
6.     Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, sc in next ch, dc in next ch, sc in next sc, *bpdc in fpdc from previous row, sc in next sc, rep from * to last 4 sts, bpdc in dc from previous row, sc in next sc, bpdc in dc from previous row, sc in last sc, ch 5, turn.
7.     Repeat rows 5 & 6 until piece measure 18 ½” - 19" in width.  (for me this was 59 sts.  It should be an odd number) End with a WS row.  Do not ch 5 at the end of this row, instead, ch 1, turn.
8.     Work established pattern across this row, ch 1, turn.
9.     Work established pattern across this row, ch 1, turn.
10.  Work established pattern across, at the end of this row you will join your work in the round by slipping into the first sc.  (RS facing)
11.  Ch 1, sc in same sc as join. Working in the back loop only, sc around to last 2 sts, sc2tog.  Join by slipping into the first sc.

WARNING: Please be careful that you don’t work these next two rows (12 & 13), too tightly.

12.  Ch 1, sc in same sc as join, working in the back loop only, sc in each sc around.  Join by slipping into the first sc.
13.  Ch 1, sc in back loop of same sc as join, dc in back loop of next sc, *sc in back loop of next sc, dc in back loop of next sc, rep from * around. End round by slipping into the first sc.
14.  Ch 1, sc in same sc as join, fpdc around the dc from previous round, *sc in next sc, fpdc around the dc from previous round, rep around, end round by slipping into first sc.
15.  Ch 1, sc in same sc as join, fpdc around the fpdc from previous round, *sc in next sc, fpdc around the fpdc from previous round, rep around, end round by slipping into first sc.
16.  Repeat #15 until piece measures 9” in length. (Measure from center point up to last worked round).
17. Ch1, sc in back loop of same sc as join, working in back loop only, sc in each sc around.  End by slipping into the first sc.
18. Repeat #17
19. Cut yarn, secure, and weave in end.

My finished cowl measured 19” in circumference and 9 1/4” in length.  I did not block this at all.   The 19" circumference is very stretchy and will accommodate even largest heads.    :)







If you would like to Download or Print this pattern, click on the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_oZ8-XeMq3pWDdxT1Ryc250Ukk/edit?usp=sharing

Back to Pattern Index


6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I've yet to make a crocheted cowl. So far, they've all been knit. This is the first crocheted cowl that has even sparked my interest. Thank you so much for the pattern. Absolutely lovely. :)

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful. exactly what yarn did you use to acheive the outcome for the white and grey yorkville cowl?

Kristen said...

Love, love, LOVE!! Can't wait to work it up, & thanks so much for sharing! :)

Diane said...

Oh my goodness. This is so unique! I've never seen anything like it. I love it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE making cowls and have made several. Thank you for the pattern. I will definitely be making this one.

kriskrafter said...

Annonymous: the yarn is Lang Zitron "Loft". Unfortunately I see that it is now discontinued. It is beautiful yarn.

re: white/grey yorkville cowl

Unknown said...

thank you for your beautiful free patterns. just found you. interesting about the yorkville cowl. i live in bolingbrook,il and my kids one in sugar grove and one in montgomery. very familiar with yorkville and the booming place it ahce become.