Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Free Crochet Pattern - Bandito Cowl

Happy New Year!  Darn tennis elbow has been killing me.  Can't knit for now, but for some reason crochet doesn't seem to bother it.  Decided to try to come up with a fun kerchief style cowl.  Here is what I came up with, I really like it.  I recommend using yarn with a little drape to it, a blend with some cotton or rayon for example.  If you would like to download or print the pattern, scroll down past the pictures to the link.

Materials:

150-170 yds of Worsted weight or Aran yarn
Size "I" (5.5mm) Crochet Hook 

Abbreviations:

ch= chain
sc= single crochet
dc= double crochet
rep=repeat

Gauge:

Gauge isn’t terribly important as you will work to a certain measurement, but my gauge was 3 scs per inch.

Directions:


  1. Ch 2, turn
  2. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 2, turn.
  3. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, skip next sc, 2 sc in next sc, ch 2, turn.
  4. 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, *skip next sc, 2 sc in next sc, rep from * to end, ch 2, turn. 
  5. Repeat row 4 until your piece is 19” wide, for me this was 76 sts.  Do not ch 2 at the end of the last row.
  6. Join in the round by slipping into the top of the first sc, ch 1, 2 sc in the same sc as joining, *skip next sc, 2 sc in next sc, rep from * around, skip last sc, then slip into first sc to end the round.
  7. Ch 1, 2 sc in same st as join, *skip next sc, 2 sc in next sc, rep from * around, skip last sc, then slip into first sc to end the round.
  8. Repeat round 7 until you have worked 3” above your initial joining in the round.
  9. Ch 1, sc in the same sc as join, then sc in the back loop only of every sc, finish round by slipping into the first sc.
  10. Ch 2 in same sc as join (this counts as first dc), dc in the back loop only in every sc, finish round by slipping into the top of the ch 2.
  11. Cut yarn and secure, weave in end.

Blocking is optional – I actually did not block mine and I am totally happy with it.  Suggestion: You can dress this cowl up a bit if you like by adding your favorite edging such as picots....etc.





 
To Download or print you can click on this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_oZ8-XeMq3pT3pzN1Y3X3MwdlU/edit?usp=sharing

Back to Pattern Index




19 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kris! I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for sharing all of your wonderful patterns. I really like your scarf ones! I am a beginning knitter (am almost finished with my first scarf using a moss stitch!), and I am loving this hobby! I appreciate you sharing your gorgeous patterns very much! I hope to try one of your scarf-lace patterns in the future!
http://blog.adriennerose.me/

Anonymous said...

Trying this with some Caron Simply Soft, I have no idea how it'll work but I like it so far! Multicolored looks really pretty in your pics...I'm going to see if solid purple turns out alright too :)

Kristen said...

Working on this as we speak! I'm using a worsted solid tweed, & can't wait to finish! I'm going to use LB Amazing on my next. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome pattern! :)

Linda said...

Made this with some left over Lion Brand Amazing Yarn in Pink Sands color way and LOVE it! Thanks so much for the pattern. I have another one almost finished in Solid Gray, Love Yarn and will finish it tonight. I like the blended wool yarn better though. Looking forward to having the time to make some of your scarfs. On top of my to do list.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love this cowl. I made one tonight in solid burgundy. I used Caron Simply Soft Eco and a 5.5mm hook. For some reason mine turned out much smaller and shorter than the photos. Maybe it's the yarn I used...maybe I crochet tight. I don't know. The end result is good...but would be better if it was longer and looser. I am wondering if I should use a larger hook next time...or a finer yarn. I am open to suggestions.... ;-) Karen

kriskrafter said...

Hi Karen, did you do a gauge swatch? was your gauge right on? It's sounds like it wouldn't have been. I am guessing that the yarn you used was just a hair too thin. You'd either need to choose a worsted that is a bit thicker or use one size larger needle.
You may be able to block your cowl and make it a bit bigger.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi again,

I did not use a gauge swatch...but I love this cowl so much I will try it with a thicker worsted...and maybe a 6mm hook so it will drape. Thanks for your reply! :-) Karen

Unknown said...

I made this last night and it turned out perfect!! Than you for sharing the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful pattern. This is the first cowl that I have liked. I think I'll be making several in different colors.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris. I love this pattern - and have decided to make up many and put them away for Christmas gifts. I love to crochet and this pattern is one that I will begin right away.
Thanks so much for sharing and I will try many more of your patterns now that I have found your site.

March 24, 2014

CathlynnEMT said...

What yarn did you use?

kriskrafter said...

CathlynnEMT, The one with the green on it is Plymouth yarn "Kudos". The other is made with Filatura Di Crosa "Tempo".

Anonymous said...

Hi , Just a quick note to thank you for sharing the pattern...I finished tonight and just love it! Used Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable in Echo with a J hook...the simplicity of the pattern shows off the color change so nicely!

I think I'll try one in a bulky next!

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered your site. Loving your free patterns. Your instructions are clear and you reply to questions (unlike other blogs I use). Looking forward to doing this pattern tonight and trying out a couple of your knitting patterns as well.

Anonymous said...

I just learned something new! For years I have done corner to corner blankies but hated the edge created by just doing 1 chain at the end of row. Your two chain solves the problem. THANKS

mariasilva said...

This was exactly what i was looking for and made in crochet. Thank you very much for sharing the pattern. I hope to understand it

cheryl said...

Doing this in black suede. A awesome friend gave me 30 bundles. Guess what I am doing!! lol Nice, easy pattern. Love to improvise and give it my touch. Thank you!!

susan q said...

thanks for this cool pattern. will certainly try #3 yarn and hold two strands together. Perfect for me. Some shawl patterns are entirely too large and will not stay put and keep falling off while winter walking! thanks again.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I made it using Big Twist Value in Steel Denim & a 6mm hook, it turned out GREAT!